Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Its good to make friends when you make custom bronze bells...




When you think of the Caribbean and/or the Mediterranean you may picture lounging about with a frosty beverage with a soft tropic breeze tickling your nose and the only sighs overheard are sighs of satisfaction as if no other place on earth could exist at that very moment, where the plant life seems to have more ambition than those of us who are "in the moment" and more satisfied with watching the waves shape the beach over and over, yet over again. That sound of water rolling gently, sand rubbing sand, lulls you ever so closer to drifting off with a smile across your sun-blocked lips and you could just stretch pleasurably if not for the clattering vision that begins to grab at your attention.
Now you see him. That bustling gentleman, dragging along a collapsible cart that chatters with every plank along the way. Here he stops and shakes a hand, here he presents a magazine. He seems to know everyone along the way and he probably does.
His name is Colin Squire and he is the busiest person around you no matter where you are. He is the publisher of Yachting Matters Magazine, hand delivered to every Captain, Crew Mate, and Yacht Owner that comes within twenty feet of this fast moving entrepreneur. His publications also include many supplements each designed for a specific need of the Yachting Trades.

I met Colin, with his empire on wheels, at the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show Fall 2007. He wanted to introduce me to "Yachting Matters Magazine", I wanted to introduce him to our custom bronze bells and we quickly moved to a conversation that sounded as if he were interested in publishing an article about bells on ships and perhaps featuring the Bellingham Bell Company. I have to admit I was excited beyond belief and could not wait to tell anyone who would listen. A very short list, however when I returned to Maine I sent an email to remind Colin of our chance meeting and he invited me to actually write the article?
How generous I thought. What a man of honor I felt, a man who keeps his word, of integrity and, he what? Asked me to write the editorial?!
Writing a blog is one thing, writing an article for a magazine that will reach thousands of potential customers is another animal altogether and as excited as I had started out the fear of having no idea what to write about set in like acidic cement. But no worries! That's why Mr Squire is the publisher. His direction goaded me to action. His integrity caused me to reach out to a local newspaper Editor in Chief who graciously reviewed and "tweaked" my work and to my relief I found more and more confidence, even after Colin sent my work back time and again with more instructions.
Colin Squire, master of Squire Publishing, has included our article in the Spring edition of "Yachting Matters" Magazine. Secure yourself a copy and page through until finding, “The Ships Bell - From 1st millennium BC through the 21st Century, By Randy McKee".
If you are in the "Med" this season, or will find yourselves in Monaco, Dubai, Tarragona, Fort Lauderdale or just happen to see Colin on the street; poke out your hand and greet a true person, true - not because of the opportunity he gave to me, do it for the opportunity you'll find for yourself.

This Post was designed to say thank you to publisher, Colin Squire in a "public" forum.

No comments: